Seems like politicians have finally caught on that our drinking laws need a serious revision. A new study is underway to look at whether people should be allowed to bring liquor to beaches and parks.

See Also: 

But can people drink responsibly? Real adults, yes. But the teens and the 20 and 30 somethings that never grow up, probably not. However, guess what: that Starbucks cup in their hand they’re holding in the beach or park likely has alcohol in it, so they’re already doing it. You just don’t see it, and that is enough of a reason to allow it. It’s already happening, and just because a small minority can’t handle their liquor responsibly doesn’t mean everyone shouldn’t be allowed to.

Naturally, there are concerns over parties, noise and disruptions. This will be the largest argument against allowing drinking on public beaches and parks.

Public drinking is legal in Germany, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Japan, so why not here in British Columbia?

With the Mayor and City Council’s focus on the interests of the young population, it will probably pass easily in Vancouver. However, the first hurdle is with the province as liquor regulations lie under provincial jurisdiction. It will be up on the provincial government and its draconian liquor board to allow drinking on beaches and provinces. Only then can the mountains of red tape bylaws within the City of Vancouver be changed.

No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.